Monday 2 April 2012

Parties and Presentations

This started with three pupils in photo!
Josphat took me out to St John’s Girls High School this morning to visit a former pupil of Aquinoe Learning Centre.  There was a calm, ordered atmosphere, but the regimented style of Kabuyefwe Friends School from yesterday was missing - thank goodness.  I’ve known Teresa for eight years (although she is very shy, so I haven’t known her well) and it was good to see her looking healthy and hear that she was doing well in her studies.



Sheena gives out stationery items  
I spent time this afternoon talking to Esther, one of the teachers, who is about to take on the role of facilitating communication between sponsors in the UK and individual pupils at Aquinoe.  She will collect pupils’ letters and ensure they are sent to me in the UK for distribution.  She will also update photos and the thumbnail information about each of the pupils. 

The next two activities were all down to Sheena.  Firstly she had bought stationery items for each pupil in the school and we toured the classrooms this afternoon distributing some to the younger pupils.


Senior girls dance for Sheena
Sheena displays her carved figure
Secondly she had organised and bought food and soft drinks for a little party after classes for members of staff.  It was a lovely get-together and the staff certainly enjoyed the treat.  I knew about this part of the proceedings and helped Sheena to lay everything out and pass round the food.  I didn’t know that there was going to be some entertainment from several groups of children, organised by John, the Standard Eight teacher and boarding master - poems songs and dances.  Nor did I know that there would be presentations.  Sheena has done such a lot in so many ways for the school that I wasn’t surprised when she received a carved figure - a representation of a future African husband!  I was not, however, prepared to be presented with a painting myself.  I hope all “friends” of the charity will consider it as a communal gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment