Saturday 7 April 2012

Saturday Market

Typical market scene

Begged a lift with Josphat into town this morning and did a little shopping - small presents for home and some mini chocolate bars as treat for the ladies of this house, who don't usually have the pleasure of such things.  When I first came there was no fridge so chocolate wasn’t worth buying - just peanut butter, biscuits or jam.  Now there’s more of a variety of welcome items!  I also bought a few items to donate to the library and office at school.

We stopped off at the market for fresh vegetables - there really is a huge choice of stalls so you could look round for the best quality and competitive prices for ages!  It’s lovely to be able to go out as often as you like to buy fresh food and, of course, the prices are brilliant compared with the UK.

Josphat takes a rest!
The same is true of every town you pass through but Kitale is the largest settlement in the region, serving as a traditional market town, and it has the shops and facilities to go with its reputation. 



On previous visits I had noticed the shilling sign that we used to use pre-decimalisation of currency, but I don’t think I had realised how commonly it’s found on shop frontages and other signs.  It really takes me back to my childhood and youth.

Cheap Safaricom calls!
 

1 comment: